It was December 14, 1994. The day was warm for December, of course not really when you live in Arizona. The sun was shining and the only chill was in the shadows. The pregnancy was coming to the finish line - December 25! But contractions had been coming on over the past few days. I was trying really hard to make my contractions continue longer than a few hours at a time. We tried walking at the mall, bouncing on a trampoline, and other techniques to get things moving. At my afternoon appointment the Dr. stripped membranes and the contractions continued. At 6 pm we headed to the hospital but we were told that I wasn't progressing enough to stay and they were "Way too full to keep you"- there were people waiting in the halls for rooms. BUT, I had a GREAT Dr. - one that was leaving town in three days! He came to visit and broke my water at 8pm - Ohh, the nurses were NOT happy, but I sure was! Grami and Pops came to witness and help. Pops spent the night in the car after giving his support and love, but Grami was right there for the whole boring night. After a VERY long night of walking the halls, Grizzly Adams on TV, and being scowled at by nurses, you still did not come - in fact, at one point the contractions stopped all together! SO by 7:30 a.m. the nurses were ready to start pitocin. I was adamant to do this natural (ironic since we were bucking the system all ready, I know!) So I refused. Daddy had to leave to take a final - hey, the semester doesn't hold for babies! I was worried he would miss your birth - no need! After listening to the nurse tell me she knew EXACTLY how I was feeling because her dog just had PUPPIES!!! I was about to give in to the pit, when all of a sudden these horrible, TERRIFIC pangs started. I thought the ones the day before were bad, but NO! These were REAL! All the breathing, concentrating, and crying did not make them feel ANY better! Daddy came in with Burger King and I almost tossed my cookies - or rather ice chips! (the only thing I was allowed to eat in the last 14 hours!) I had progressed to a 5 - that's IT??? It was 12:30. Things started to pick up.
The doctor was called - " I am just returning from Jury duty, I will be there in 30 minutes",
RN: "you better hurry, she is progressing quickly!"
Me: "I need to push".
RN: "oh, that can't be it is too soon, let me see...
I NEED A DR RIGHT NOW!!!" (while yelling out the door into the hall)
Woman Dr enters room, while shaking my hand between my legs over my bulging belly "Hi, I am Dr. Holden, let's see what we have here. Oh, yep, that is a baby!"
Me - thinking - DUH!!!
Dr: "give me a little push to see how this will go", "OH! Well lookie there, you have a little girl!" Me: Tears, exhaustion, smiles!
Daddy takes you in his arms and helps the nurses get you cleaned and warm.
December 15th, 1994. 1:01 pm it was all over - or the just beginning!
(1:35 in walks your real Dr. surprised at what he sees - you in my arms instead of my belly!)
Ten fingers, ten tiny toes - very tiny, you only weighed 5lbs 11 oz! You would think that this was just yesterday the way I remember the details, but alas, 14 years have passed!
Being the oldest has not been easy, I know - I'm the mom that uses you as my test subject! But I must say that you are the love of my life! I am the proudest mom in the world!! You are smart, funny, happy, cute, talkative, and caring. Your love of books and reading is dear to my heart - oh if only I had the time to read like you do - five books this week, really? And your talent to write short stories is improving by the day! I love that you want to talk to me and hope this lasts through the years to come. I like to hear about the fun you have at school and the friends you keep. The sorrows you feel, the joys you encounter. You have a love of the Savior and the scriptures that helps my own testimony grow. You are so beautiful!
Thank you, for letting me be your mom. I can't express myself very eloquently, but I feel it deep in my soul - you are a part of me! Ashten, I LOVE YOU! Happy Birthday! Mom.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




5 comments:
How sweet is that! What a fun story.
My Tyler was born exactly 5 years later December 14th. How fun.
Great post. I am impressed with how much you remember. I guess the first is the most memorable.
One more thing. Happy Belated Birthday Ashten. I can't believe she was only 5 when I first met her. And that young when I was your VT. Doesn't that seem like a whole other life?
AWW she is such a sweet girl. We love Ashton and glad you brought her into the world. Thank you for sharing. Hugs, Bobbi Jo
Wow - it goes by fast. She is a sweetie. Had fun slinging pork with you at the ward party!
Post a Comment